View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
turfmd101, mss222 said he was watering ONLY 12 minutes twice per week...
That misunderstanding has driven this thread into mass confusion... i.e., too much water is NOT likely the problem with 24minutes/week of irrigation...

The problem is most likely drought conditions... Either way,,, this is what you'll want to do:
Use a sturdy spade or shovel and push it into the turf as far as you can,,, open up a wedge by moving the shovel forward and backwards... at this point you should have a visual into the root system and even get your hand into the dirt to feel the moisture level... like sticking your finger into a potted plant to see if it needs watering...
It would also be helpful to take a little sample of the dirt and rub it between your fingers... if it is Gritty like grits then it is sandy ,,, if it is greasy like fresh Play-doh then it is probably clay,,, if it is crumbly like old dried out Play-doh then it is possibly good soil...

Doing these little steps are as important as they would be in maintaining a window box watering... once you find out where your soil is at, then follow turfmd101's step #5...
Hope this helps...
I just did what you said, the soil is a dark black it is not gritty, im not sure what you mean bye greasy, and it didn't per se crumble like dried out playdoh.

The soil itself definitely didnt feel like it had a lot of moisture to it, at the same time it didn't feel like it was completely dried out. At the same time it seemed pretty easy for the roots to come out of the soil.

If its a lack of watering, why would I have all of those orange circled chunks that appear to look like brown patch fungus. Doesn't that come from excessive mositure?

The spots that aren't orange but are kind of a light grey/brown and look liked dried up dead spots is that from a lack of water? Could I possibly save it by spot watering it?

I was told that twice a week with each zone being watered for 12 minutes was adequate. Maybe I'm wrong? Especially since some of them are rotary sprinklers so its not constantly watering the same spot for 12 minutes straight.

Is 6:30 am a good time to start the sprinkler system and any recommendations on what to change it to right now to try and get back the grass in shape.

I have sent emails to 3 pesticide companies to come out this week and give me a free diagnostic on what must be done and how much. But preferrably I'd rather take care of this myself if possible.

Page generated in 0.03719 seconds with 7 queries