View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM

Are You Standing in The Way of Your Lawn & Landscape Company?

I wrote this for my blog but I figured I would share it here....

This post is specifically for the lawn and landscape business owners who are still out in the field working. And this is very important.

If you are still out in the field physically doing the work, leading a crew or multiple crews and much of what is accomplished each day is dependent upon you, it is time to ask yourself whether or not you are helping the business or hurting the business.

Here is an example.

Let's say that you have one crew for now that consists of you and two employees. All three of you go out and do the work each day. In this example, we will use a maintenace business.

You tell the employees to arrive at the garage or storage area at 7 am sharp. They arrive, but where are you? Well, the night before you were at the shop until 9pm working on equipment and then you were working on estimates until 1 am and you are exhausted. You arrive at 7:15 am.

Then while you are out working your phone rings and it is a customer who has some questions for you. One employee is trimming and the other is using the push mower. You are operating the 60 inch zero turn, but you had to stop mowing and shut the mower off to conduct this 10 minute phone call. Once you are finished, they are standing there waiting for you to finish mowing.

Then at 2:30 pm, the phone rings again and it is your dealer informing you that your other zero turn that needed fixed is finished and you have to come get it before they close at 5 pm. You drop the 2 employees off at a customer's house and you race to the dealer to get the mower. But when you get there he is busy waiting on someone else and you stand around for 15 minutes. You arrive back at the job site and the employees are sitting at the end of the driveway waiting for you.

You pick them up and head to the next job. While driving your phone sets off an alarm reminder that at 4 pm you have to give an estimate for a commercial property and actually meet with the commercial property manager. You want to run back to the shop and clean up a little bit first. You drop the employees off at a bigger job out of the way so they are kept busy while performing the estimate. The estimate takes longer than expected and your phone has been ringing repeatedly from your employees trying to inform you that the mowers are out of gas and you left the gas can on the truck - the truck you drove to give the estimate.

Now does it normally go like this every single day? Probably not every day, but it certainly happens more often than it should.

Is it time for you to send the employees off on an organized route to do the work while you take care of all the details and estimating and marketing and meetings, etc.?

Page generated in 0.03964 seconds with 7 queries