View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
This may be off the general discussion.

If severe droughts occur and normal fertilization continues. I also believe continuing to fertilize with N will definitely cause turf to exhaust energy and become week. I also feel in these situations of drought. The right fertilizer is most important in preventing osmosis of water in the root system by compounding salt in the soil higher than the salt content of the root system. This is droughts biggest issues when considering GOOD or BAD fertilizer quality's. Especially around coastal salt spray areas.
Posted via Mobile Device
It does make sense that if the plants were correctly fertilized that they would be best able to stand the period of drought better... if they were underfed when the drought hits they would be less likely to stand against the drought...

I do not believe that having nitrogen salts sitting on the grass during a drought is a good idea, but would be better if the plant had done lots of active growing and storing up energy before the drought...

That is why I am a big fan of fertile soil, moreso than quick growing brite green grass... if a plant has what it needs always available it won't be taken out of sync with its natural processes... I like to do N when the roots are done expanding in the Spring and beforethe heat and drought hits... then do more N when the Fall rains return after the heat and drought of Summer... Those are the 2 basic apps for N and Fe...

N with H2O and cool temps, all go together... unless all 3 are present the plants will be 'out of sync' and that stress needs to be considered...

Fertile soil,,, has CE sites, good air/water ratio and enough microbial activity to mine almost any mineral from the soil that is needed by the plant at any given time...

Page generated in 0.03743 seconds with 7 queries