Thread: Clay Platelets
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Good point, Skip.
If someone intended to feed the microbes...would he then spread sugar on the soil? Would the soil structure then be improved?

Is anybody willing l to try a test in indoor flower pots? Clay soil loose, clay soil purposely hard-packed, and clay soil hard-packed with sugar added--what is the difference in seed germination if buried at 1/4 inch?
If you have a basic mineral clay, w/out a decent amount of undigested OM, you are likely to just get a mold growing on top of the clay from your sugar app...

If it were me, I would put a layer of dead grass in the pot,,, even worked into the surface a bit to have something of substance for the microbes to begin building structure with the clay platelets...
The clay pots will compact themselves with a good soaking with water... So I would make the difference between these various pots the frequncy and types of watering... i.e. one can be kept wet , the 2nd canbe allowed to dry completely between waterings and the 3rd could be overwatered...

For number 2,,, I wouldn't let the entire pot dry out between waterings, but would make sure the top inch or so, is completely dried...

I believe that number 2 is the critical formula for building decent soil structure...

Page generated in 0.04243 seconds with 7 queries