View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
I firmly agree.
My opinion on good or bad fertilizer is based on the quality of raw material used for the blend ( high or low quality ). I also agree that with improperly applying N STORED ENERGY is the biggest loss. Do you feel this action shuts down the storage of energy at the same time?
Posted via Mobile Device
Based on this article,,,
http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-dise...-fertilization
and what I've learned over the years, I've arrived at the following conclusion for cool-season grasses... basic principles apply to all grasses , but the timing would be all different...

As the grasses break dormancy early in the Spring they call on their reserves to grow the roots out into the thawing ground... as the ground thaws the microbes become active and begin their mutualistic relationship with the plants' microscopic root hairs...
Since topgrowth is NOT the grasses' priority, the microbes would mine actual minerals from the soil that the plants would like to have to build the strongest and most virile roo tsystem possible... All W/out additional fertilizers and absolutely no root inhibitors...

I imagine that a lot of this early underground growth is over by our 2nd mowing or so... Now is the time I like to add N and Fe so the color brightens up and the robust growth of the entire plant allows new storage opportunitiesfor the upcoming Summer and all of its related stresses...

Page generated in 0.03709 seconds with 7 queries