Thread: McG_Landscaping
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
Do you like the 5.4L Gasser? I am thinking of just staying with gas trucks with how expensvie diesel is and when you go into bigger gears gas milage sucks anyways.

I dont know much about diesel engines also which is a huge desiding factor when i can work on everything on a gas engine and half of the engine of a diesel i know nothing about.

I have been looking for awhile for a truck under 50k to put to work, we only put about 7-8k miles on work trucks per year, so with the right maintenance, a gasser should last 150k without any major issues. So thats about 12 years of life!

I narrowed it down to either buying a some sort of beat up 2000 f350 with low miles and fix it up, or finance a 2008/9/10 f350 and put it to work asap. I have one payment besides insurance right now and its so nice being mostly debt free, i hate payments, but dont got 25k laying around for a truck. I like my money in the bank!

How do you think your truck holds an insert? Whats the most you have had in it? I think if i get an insert i will either get a truckcraft alumnium insert(for the weight factor to have more payload) or an e-z dumper used online.

Or if i buy used put a aluminum flat bed with a hoist under it.

Too many desisions, Too little money
I would definitely say go with a newer truck. That payment could very well cost you less in the way of downtime, repairs, etc. Honestly the 5.4 isnt awful. its a little underpowered but it still will do everything i have asked to do. before the suspension upgrade the truck sagged a little in the back. after the upgrade (2 additional leaf springs on each side) it holds weight like a champ. I had 3 ton of salt in it the other day for a short time and it seemed to be ok. just a little hard stopping. i have heard that people like the new gas engines in the 11 and 12s. the 6.2 is supposed to make up for the lack of power the 5.4 had. I most likely will get a 6.2 in whatever i get next unless its diesel (Im not on the whole diesel train)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Yeah, you'll easily make several times mowing with it then selling it.
most definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 320D LRR View Post
Are you not using that v box spreader you bought?
I am not, mostly for 3 reasons. Weight, the fact that I use a lot of bucketed salt so it would be a pita to climb into there and scoop it out, and because i dont have a place to empty it and it would freeze up all of the time. i am trying to sell it now and next year get a tailgate spreader for the insert
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444

Page generated in 0.04570 seconds with 7 queries