I finally gave in this year and jumped into the snow removal game. I do a few of my own accounts and sub off another guy for most of the work. But I have many reasons for not wanting to do it in the past. Now I live in an area where snow is very sporadic, it could snow a lot or very minimal.
1. Expensive equipment sitting idle.
2. Watching tv/smart phone constantly checking weather
3. Not having freedom to travel during winter
4. Kids are pulled from daycare after lawn season, so hard to
find daycare on short notice if wife is working
5. Hard to find any help for this type of work
6. After long mowing season, having some down time is nice
7. Pay is good. But slow.
8. Hard to get a parttime job, when you have to do snow
removal on a whim.
9. I absolutely hate cold weather
This year was a test run. If I feel like it is worth my while I will roll it out full blown next year. I will offer it to all of my mowing clients next year. I know many will take me up on it. Did not want to go all in just in case I decide not to do it again next year. Being a sub for most of my work is nice, I am going to Florida in 2 weeks and dont have to worry about it snowing while I am gone. The guy has to find someone else while I am gone, not me. Right now I am 50/50 on next year. Life is too short to be miserable and I work enough during mowing season.
Posted via Mobile Device