View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
So if you apply (controlled release fert) , and it doesn't get watered in for several months, this is a bad idea? -- I know of granular fert that can sit there pretty much "forever" until precip happens.

http://www.iaturf.blogspot.com/2012/...ht-stress.html.

Our lawns turned out looking better, cuz the nutrients were "in place during drought conditions", compared to to others.

Lawns that did not recieve nutrients during late summer "struggled" and looked pale & thin. Not good -- especially going into winter.
I believe it is a good idea to have "nutrients in place" like you've indicated... in that we are definately in agreement about that... where I have a problem understanding where you're coming from,,, is the idea that adding fertilizer during a drought is actually "nutrients in place"...

I can't comment on southern grasses, but the thing we did here was add fert as soon as the heat was over in Late Aug - Early Sept.,,, just as soon as the first Fall rain came... it still took 2 months for the granules to dissolve and in fact I could still see granules , still in place, when the snow came,,, and these were less than 15% slow release...
I use water soluable N in the Fall because I want the N, in place, i.e., in the root zone before the ground freezes... N is wasted on frozen turf and will likely end up in the water table when snow melts and the March winds blow...

how this compares to Alabama grasses,,, I don't know,,, but the thing to remember about fertilizer is that,,, until it is in usable form, and in an accessible location where roots can use it... it is NOT 'nutrients in place'...

Page generated in 0.03798 seconds with 7 queries