View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
I would totally think battery operation will be the way to go. keep in mind, where does it all start at.... cars. and you dont see too many propane driven vehicals being made, but yet battery vehicals are on the rise.

From an engineers stand point. I can use elecric motors for everything, I dont need any belts, I dont need any hoses, no pullies, no engine, no hydo motors, no hydro pumps, no oil, no hydro oil, no starter, no starter battery, no alternator, no transmittions, no clutches for the pto. and no effciency loss from the use of the above objects due to friction. no oil changes, no belt chages, no blowing hydro hose, pumps, seals or motors, no pull starters and the list goes on and on. the largest mining equiptment we have is electric, trains are electricly driven.

only problem is can they produce a battery that will last a decent amount of time and give good preformance. we already burn though 3k plus a year in fuel alone per mower. so if they could billed a ztr with preformance that was in the 12-15k range on battery I would buy it.

stihl has battery power units, and they arent terrible. granded not up to commercial standards, yet. but the cordless screw driver took years for the consumer to buy, now even major contractors have 18 volt dewalts. I havnt used my corded drill in years.
these are all very good points...my question was will they produce enough power and last long enough...and to be honest, technology advances everyday, so i wouldn't be surprised not if, but when they come out with that technology...i would say it will be a solid 10 if not 20 years until that's mainstream...i still remember people saying we were going to be in flying cars by 2000

propane at the moment seems to be the best answer, in my opinion, but i agree, don't count batteries out...it would be pretty solid to run a machine all day with all the benefits you described...as of right now they don't have anything that will last for more than 2 hours and i'm not if it's anywhere near the power of a combustion engine...

i also would have told you that you are out of your damn mind if you told me by 2007 we would have a device in our pockets that allowed you to run your business in the field online, listen to any music you wanted to with headphones or simply the device itself, watch youtube videos, get on Facebook, etc...like i said, anything is possible with technology, and i think it's right around the corner

Page generated in 0.03738 seconds with 7 queries