View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Foolproof Transplanting

There have been a lot of mistakes made out in the real world and lots of comments, even here, about transplant failure... While some plants just do not transplant consistently, even some of those may survive if done well...

When watching the "Garden Shows" and the "Experts" there,,, I can pretty much agree with them most of the time... However they do not adequately address this unseen underground air pockets in the hole... In fact I've seen the closeup demonstrating the packing of surface soil with someone's foot,,, and that is definately going to prevent good perculation a settling of the soil in the transplant hole...

Adequate removal of air pockets and soaking up the entire root zone is a very big deal and there is a foolproof way of accomplishing that:
Depending on the soil, each transplant hole is flooded at the time of transplant, then again the next day to double check for air bubbles, and often again on the 3rd day... Obviously if the hole wasn't ammended well and there is heavy clay all around then the initial flooding may well be enough to remove air pockets, because it will take all 3 days to allow air back into the pores...
We need to know the time when the pores in the soil are able to get air again... Without that information we can never know if 1 time is good or if 3 times maybe necessary...

How do you eliminate the unseen underground air pockets???

Page generated in 0.04042 seconds with 7 queries