View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
Gee..This is back on top? Thanks for all the replies.

To respond to some of the comments;

#1, I am not running a business. I"m a solo operator. So I have a lot more flexibility than even a small business. And I figure this will blow over.

#2, I don't bid jobs. I don't want to fight my way to the bottom of the food chain. I'm sure they have solicited other bids because I've seen competitors vehicles.

I try to focus on keeping the clients I have. And they have problems other than how to keep the lawn mowed. I at least try to appear to be sensitive to their problems. And I don't make my problems their problems. I wouldn't complain to them about my overhead.
I actually disagree with this quite a bit.

even as a solo operation you still run a business. I mention this disagreement because I am a solo operation myself and I hear way to often that I don't own a business because I'm solo or that I don't run a business because I'm solo.

how can we change this view point if even some of the solo guys are going along with this mentality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
So you're gonna turn down a 20k job over 5%.. That 5% can easily be made back up somewhere else with them, that 20k job can't... just my opinion...
if that 20k job wasn't a large amount of my income yes I would turn down the job over 5%. or as he said, if your not making a profit.

personally I don't care how small of a loss it is, I'm not working for someone at a loss. doesn't matter if I can make it up elsewhere or not.

I don't work, just to work. I don't stay busy just to stay busy. I would turn them down and fill that time with jobs that make me a profit.

not to mention people talk. do you want word to get out that you dropped your price 5%? everyone will be asking you to lower your price because you did for them.

Page generated in 0.03429 seconds with 7 queries