View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We got money stolen out of our bank account!

Iv been debating weather or not to share this. This past week we finally got around to checking the latest bank statement I think it it had been on our desk a good week. And as my partner went through it he found that we had 2 checks to 2 people we had no clue who they were for a total of 1840 dollars. Now we hand write checks to pay bills and these were not them the numbers are way off the shape the whole thing no where close. But payroll we use ADP the checks don't say ADP on them accept for the back and its a water mark. These 2 checks had our name account number and were made as close as they could to look like payroll checks. Now the signatures were wrong the names were either middle-eastern or Spanish couldn't pronounce them if I tried.

So some how they got a hold of a payroll check we paid an employee with and created these 2 checks with that info and made the check numbers about 40 or 50 ahead so as to seem credible. Then they took them to check cashing places again had they went to our bank the signatures would not of passed. So to my surprise Walmart cashes checks as does a Getty 2 towns over and they in-turn deposited the fake checks and took my money. So you can imagine the fun Iv had first there was 21k in the bank so this could of been much worse. Second we had no choice but to cancel the account and start a new one. And all the fun that comes with that for instance yesterday the ADP tried to take out a payment for the feds for an extra unemployment contribution only the account was flagged and the money already removed and the one out standing check too the D E E P for my pesticide supervisor license renewal. Nothing like frantically trying to transfer money to avoid bouncing a check on someone that writes on all paper work there is no grace period. And then third and this one is the worse I do not know where the breach was yet. My partner and I only cash ours at the bank so wasn't us. My employees either had the info stolen at some low life check cashing place by an owner or employee or worse they are in on it.

Now my bank claims I'll get the money back and I can see that happening I got 2 middlemen that cashed fake checks on me. And they not I, should be out the money. But the part that kills me is how do you even protect yourself against a counterfeit check when once you give it to someone you have no control what so ever where it goes or how its guarded. So of course I had 2 days of sitting in the bank and a police station filling out paper work and we will see if these places still have this on film or not. And Ironically you'd think Id be enraged and I was but then the thought of what my own government does to me came to mind and 1840 dollars didn't seem so big anymore. I have my suspicion which employee was at fault and he was being terminated anyway for other reasons to do with his attitude.

Now I hear the commercials for life lock but even the account protection would never protect against this. We write hundreds of checks a year no way your gona get a call each time to say ok let that one through. Which is sorta why I posted this for you guys to enjoy because if I didn't do anything wrong and nothing could be done to safe guard checks no longer in my possession. Then every one here is equally vulnerable to this sort of scam and you should all know about it and better sooner than later.

Page generated in 0.04048 seconds with 7 queries