View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
REALLY? Is that a gross over generalization perhaps? My client refer me to their friends and neighbors because I am knowledgeable and I do an excellent job. They do care about quality.
Yes. The mowers we pay ridiculous amounts of money for do the work. While there may be a few people out there doing crappy work; I'm just not seeing many. Most I see do fine work. They're doing fine work in this industry because the work isn't complicated. It's labor intensive, but it isn't complicated.

The labor intensive aspect is where we make our sales. Anyone can sit on a Z and point it in a straight line and make a yard look great. To argue to the contrary is ridiculous. Anybody can put mulch in a wheelbarrow and dump it. Anybody can plant flowers and shrubs. Anybody can put product into a spreader and walk.....is it worth their time, though? Are they physically able to do it? Do they have the time to do it? When the answer is no we get the sale.

While I can agree that there is a small percentage of customers that do value quality; I just cannot agree that it even represents more than a miniscule amount of where our business comes from.

How many ridiculous retaining walls have you seen? I've seen a blue million. These were done by homeowners who never realized a level was invented a long time ago. They look absolutely ridiculous and they simply do not care. That's just one example of people rarely giving a crap about quality. The list is a mile long, though.

I'm not saying that we don't do quality work. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of us here do. I'm just saying we're fooling ourselves if we think that the quality work we do is the main reason why we're getting this business. I whole-heartedly disagree with that line of thinking.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds

Page generated in 0.03205 seconds with 7 queries