Thread: Mixed Emotions
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I know some states do not require irrigation license and others do. Mine does, Texas, and also if you have employees that you want to leave on site, send unattended on service calls, multiple installs, ect..... then they must have a irrigation tech license.
Regardless of the licenses required in Texas, the lack of an actual experience requirement negates the importance of the license.
Quote:
I have stated before that our course and test is for the technical side but really no "real world experiance".
Some have said they feel you should have to apprentice under someone for a few years.
4 years of employment in a 10 year period is required before your application for a test date is approved. One would assume that in four years (amounts to 8,000 man hours) one should have a pretty good handle on their trade.
Quote:
I agree somewhat but not entirely.
Some of the negatives
I would have not been able to do this while running my own landscape business.
Not trying to be a jerk but isn't this similar to begining a business and then having the customer pay you to learn on their property?
Quote:
Most all the "irrigators", even the "old timers" in my area, I would really not want teaching.
How do you think they learned? Many prolly printed some cards, began with repair and ventured on to installs.

Quote:
I would rather the course have both classroom and field training. I know Texas A&M has the extension Texas Agri-Life with locations throughout the state. The one in Dallas is large enough that they could have field training.
I would think 2-4,000 hours would be a good start. Apprenticeships are usually 4 years and it takes 2-3 more years as a journeyman to have the skills to run crews at a professional level.

What are some of y'all [Texas slang] thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Okiedokey, when is the last time that you went to the doctor?

Next time you go ask him/her where they apprenticed. After going to school for who knows how long they haue to serve an apprenticeship to put their education into real life situations.

You would throw a fit if a HVAC guy showed at your house and all the experience he had was 40 hrs classroom and passed a state test.

The scenarios could go on and on and on but you can see my point.

I see the Texas irrigators licensing program being more beneficial for the state of Texas than for Texans. Your observation of fellow irrigators is a direct result of people teaching themselves on their customers dime.

Don't get me wrong and think i don't like Texas or Texans, i get calls weekly from irrigators in Texas that have just gotten licenesed or are having issues that i am able to help with. Some of these people have become very good friends.
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.04403 seconds with 7 queries