View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was in a similar situation like I said in an earlier post. I'd be out running around like crazy, hammering on my truck, plowing when either myself or truck were no longer in any shape to do so. I plowed half my route with only rear brakes on my truck one storm, plowed for 36 hours straight on another...phone ringing with people wondering where I was and when I'd be there. My route now consists mostly of my residential lawn care customers and some of their neighbors and one factory lot, which is also a lawn care customer. And with them all being close I can start as soon as there's a couple of inches to make sure that they can all get in and out at all times...no more worrying about what time they go to work. I just do a quick pass and open them up and then come back for any additional accumulation and the detail work later. If we get a really big storm I just "camp out" at my factory lot so I don't have to be driving around in blizzard conditions.

With a route like yours it's only a matter of time before you get a storm that totally overwhelms you and leaves many of your customers trapped in their homes. In the mean time, I'd suggest that you always bring a helper with you to hop out and get the sidewalks and garage fronts, to help if you get stuck and to also make arrangements with some local guys you're friendly with to help out in a pinch. If you want I can PM you my phone number for emergency coverage of the Old Saybrook area...I think you said you had some lawn accounts down here....not sure if you also have plowing ones.

Page generated in 0.03750 seconds with 7 queries