Thread: Kohler 29 EFI?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I see exactly what you are saying, and you are correct...

QUOTE:

1) Max Power (hp) and Max Torque (lbs ft) specifications for Kohler general purpose engines are rated pursuant to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1940 based on gross output testing performed according to SAE J1995 without the air cleaner and muffler. Actual engine power and torque are lower and affected by accessories (air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling, fuel pump, etc.), application, engine speed, ambient operating conditions (temperature, humidity and altitude) and other factors. This J1940 / J1995 rating provides consistent measurement to customers who may want to control the intake and exhaust features of the engine. For more information, contact Kohler Co. Engine Engineering Department. Kohler Co. reserves the right to change product specifications, designs and standard equipment without notice and without incurring obligation.

I am now wondering if Kawasaki is giving correct hp, and honestly don't see how they could unless their engine it is checked with all accessories attached, and knowing all applications are different.

I would think the only fair way hp could be advertised would be if the engine was checked with the air cleaner and muffler attached. We all know you can generate more hp with the air cleaner out, and no muffler.

I would love to hear feedback from someone running the same machine with both engines. I doubt there would be a great deal of difference in feel of power, fuel injection just makes for a stronger and more responsive feeling engine.
puppy-
I am not sure if it is still in their writings on this subject, but Kawi was stating in their little piece they had posted on their site about the Critical Power rating, that they were being tested by the group over in Germany, and engines were set up as they would be while in real applications with airbox/filter, and muffler.

Page generated in 0.04457 seconds with 7 queries