To answer your questions.
1. You answered it yourself
2. A small load of a sandy loam will be fine
3. the old grass should be killed and if its burmuda it wont die till it actually starts growing again, then a sod cutter should be used to remove the dead turf, thats gonna be a lot of work. You will need a power tiller the bigger the easier the job will be, Id also add some gyptsim and lime befor I tilled.
4. A 36" og 48" landscape rake should get it fairly level, yes the grade should
go down from the house.
5. Before you till add a LITTLE not a lot of slow release fertilizer, Do Not water before you install the sod.
7. Roll the tilled dirt before you lay the sod.
8 Water right after the sod is in and keep it like a swamp for at least 10 days, it will likley thake about 3 waterings per day.
Dont worry so much about the red claw the sand willl break it up and grass like iron.
Forgot to add, ask the sod farm if a preemergement is ok to put on before the sod.
Last edited by larryinalabama; 02-05-2013 at 07:04 PM.