View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Do you have any data to support this?
Does it matter?

Originally Posted by phasthound
Managing soil microbiology populations is critical to enhancing soil structures, nutrient cycling, and defending against diseases.
Read this introductory publication:
http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/concepts/s..._food_web.html

Skipster replied:
How do you propose managing soil microbiology populations? Your link doesn't provide any insight that is different from what we've discussed previously. SmallAxe might say, "Now that we know the WHY, we need to know HOW to manage these populations.

Your link backs up the uniersity links we've looked at before -- it tells us that microbes are their most active in healthy and robust plant systems. This link supports the conventional management view over the "feed the microbes" view.

You do realize that the author (Dr. Elaine Ingham) of that publication is the most vocal proponent of the "feed the microbes" view? Now, I don't agree with all of her conclusions, but I would not spin her work like you did by saying her work supports your viewpoint.

IMHO, "microbes are their most active in healthy and robust plant systems" is correct because the microbial activity plays an important part in creating and maintaining "healthy and robust plant systems". You can't have one without the other.

As I have said many times, there is no miracle bullet: nutrition, irrigation, cultural methods, soil parent material, physical structure and microbes all play important roles in healthy turf. And healthy turf does not just mean green grass.

We have different opinions, so be it.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Page generated in 0.03799 seconds with 7 queries