View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Good plan, Ax. For best photographs, try getting the light from the window behind you. Or shoot at night. Shooting through glass at roots and soil is tricky, I suspect. Try placing the camera on a tripod or couple books for support and use a short time exposure--flash may produce glare and reflections. Cover up the flash if necessary.

This could be interesting. Perhaps we can add water and shake up a jar of our local soil in a jar and let it settle. In theory, it should settle out in distinct layers, coarse particles, medium, fine and eventually tiny colloidal clay particles. What is the percent of each in your town? Naturally it probably varies.
At present...I have a bit of a snow situation. And glass jars are getting hard to find.

Most of my weed experiments are growing in purchased potting soil. I am raising tomato plants for a future weed control test, (4 inches tall). Suggestions? I only have 4 weed products to test at the moment. Various combinations could be tested. Or perhaps humidity effects.

The shaking of soil in a jar full of water actually is a fundemental activity that every gardener, horticulturalist and even turf growers should do on a new site... this will show you with great clarity what the Texture of the soil is and give you a good idea of the amount of OM available...

When I was trying to shoot through the glass I have had the light behind me, in fairly dark and dispersed lighting situations , but it is either too dark or there is a glare... not bad , but just bad enough I can't get to see anything with the camera...

I'm actually trying to show soil aggregates as the soil dries...then note any changes when watered again... also noting changes as the roots move into the soil which is beginning now...

I'm mowing the top every couple of days now with a scissors...

Good luck with the tomatoes and thanks for the ideas that involve winter activity...
Speaking of which,,, there was an optimist on the weather report last nite that said , after this morning we are likely to be above zero(0) degrees F. for the remainder of the season...

Page generated in 0.03706 seconds with 7 queries