View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Why are you using clear glass jars? Are you covering the glass while not taking pictures? Are you trying to get pictures of the roots as they grow?

Remember that roots are extremely light-sensitive (even ambient UV light kills roots almost immediately), so plants won't grow well in clear or translucent containers.
I'm actually monitoring Soil Structure Aggregates as the soil dries and get rewatered over a period of time... the grass seed was an after thought...

I haven't had much problem with roots in glass jars over the years, even when starting cuttings in glasses of water sitting in the window... glass(and water) does filter UV quite effectively, so maybe that's why it's OK...

In fact I got a very interestting bulb that was grown in a jar full of water, from the nursery,,, and roots are visible all the way to the bottom... I would think that the roots would drown and rot, but I was wrong... I'll have to include that in my next photo shoot...

Page generated in 0.03359 seconds with 7 queries