View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just from a rough estimate of the photo, I'd say your texture is 75% sand and 25% clay,,, minus the % of silt sitting on the clay... That's really not a bad texture to work with, if OM was added to it and tilled in good, I would imagine the top 6-8" being an excellent loam as a result...
Your jar is quite similar to the types of pecentages we see in our jars, only all the clay around here is red...

I enjoy hearing ideas about the geology of the planet, especially the Glacial Midwest... Was your friend saying that L. Michigan was larger at some point after the flood and that you are living on soil that was part of lake bed at one time??? How deep is the water table in your flat areas???
I'm sitting on high ground with the well being around 100' deep,,, but the back 40, has a pond and swamps... We have lots of steep hills in this area, yet Centro Wisco has flatlands of sand, just above the water table that grows potatos like misquitos...

Page generated in 0.03289 seconds with 7 queries