View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinla45 View Post
A little ridiculous to be bullying someone on the internet. I own and operate a landscaping company and we do not compete on price but good job for assuming everyone is out to get you. We are completely switching over to becoming a green friendly business and I want to get into irrigation to obtain my watersense certification and provide documents that I am very capable of not only building the customer irrigation but also providing an in depth irrigation schedule and proper runoff for my soil nutrients. It just doesn't sound like I will be running you out of town I think you're safe.
Is any run off proper? I would say no. Water infiltration rate is what you meant to say.

Irrigation schedules based on soil type, plant material/turf type, sun/shade %, and slope are a requirement by the State I work in.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but someone that has been in the field a while could spot those mistakes from a mile away. You may think that doesn't matter because you will be talking with the customer and not a professional, but don't think the customer isn't going to ask the next irrigator through the door if they provide the correct amount of "run off" for the soil type. This is when that irrigator will pin you to the wall.

I believe what Irrigation Contractor is trying to say is that there are a lot of streamlined companies out there installing excellent systems at competitive prices. When those companies can provide 10 references for customers they have installed for in the last week, you will be at a disadvantage. Also the bigger companies will be buying parts about 20-30% less than you will be, and even though the owner is not out there swinging picks, they will pay equal if not less than you in labor by the time the job is done. So when a big company comes in 20% less, has references to back them up, over two centuries of combined irrigation experience, and hundreds of happy customers, you are starting behind the eight ball.

There are a lot of ways to penetrate that wall, PM me and I will help you out more. I was definitely in your shoes, but I definitely understood where I had to be and made a plan to get there. Best piece of advice I can offer right away, don't EVER claim to know everything about anything. All that does is close people off that would normally help you out. One of the colleges I went to offered a Bachelor, Masters, and Ph.D in Soils, (it was termed differently) and had 8 full time research Ph.D's, none of them would tell you they know everything.

Irrigation is a niche market. Only a few companies in my area have been able to pull off doing landscaping, maintenance, and irrigation. Most companies sub irrigation work out to full time irrigation companies.

Page generated in 0.03333 seconds with 7 queries