View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
One thing I do is send an estimate from QB's with a line item for each service.

Line One is MOW BLOW and Go 36 times a year @ $$
Line two is clean beds 4 times a year @$$
so on and so forth covering all the items we discussed.

I send the estimate for their review with a note that these are my recommendations for their review. Any and all can be bundled into a monthly agreement or as an add on. I also tell them we can increase of decrease the frequency based on their needs.

I will often get an e-mail back looking kind of like this. This is a real response edit to protect the Innocent.

1. On the invoice you stated that the lawn should be top dressed, aerated and treated with pre-emergent on the same day. So, that cost would be XXX, plus XXX.00, correct? I would want to pay for that part in one lump sum. I know we need to do this pretty soon. My front and backyard have a lot of weeds. Especially the back.

2. The aeration would be done in both front and back, correct?

3. Please reduce TRIM Shrubs to 2 times per year

4. Also, reduce seasonal color change to 1 time per year (summer flowers)

5. At time of summer flower plantings, will the new mulch also be put out at that time?

6. Reduce Clean beds and General grooming to 4 times per year

This comes to $$$ per month correct?

I then change the estimate and resent with a note. If they agree then I draft up the agreement.
I'm not sure if someone explained this already but I'm going to ask it anyway. What happens when you mulch someones bed in April and you charge them $500? If that customer is on, let's say, a 10 month payment plan then that's only $50 extra a month your collecting for that particular job. If the mulch cost you $200 and the labor cost you a $100, it's going to take 6 months just to pay of materials and labor. You wouldn't even START seeing any profit until the final 4 months of the season.

Now I know what somebody is going to say.. "well, it all evens out in the summer when you're servicing the lawn less." But I don't really see how that's true. There's roughly 8 weeks between July and August, right? Well, if you were coming every other week in those months, you're only talking 4 cuts less. I don't see how servicing a homeowners lawn 4 times less would make up for the $300 you had to dish out for a job you won't even see any profit on for 6 months.

sorry ELS.. didn't mean to quote you on that..

Page generated in 0.03782 seconds with 7 queries