View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea about the frost heaving the soil to sow the seed... my main issue with pasture grasses is that they will always come back, until they are completely killed...
Even removing the top few inches of 'crowns and rhizomes' with a bobcat,,, may not be enough to eliminate the pasture grasses completely...

RU should not affect the seed at all... You might want to sow the seed now and let the freeze/thaw cycle plant it for you, and as the grass greens up continue to spray the RU, until the seedlings emerge...
In theory,,, by the time the soil is warm enough to actually germinate the seed,,, all of your old grasses have greened up and been killed...
You would also have the added advantage of their dead bodies for seedbed cover...

The problem with ripping up old grasses before RU, is your leaves may not be connected to the rhizomes enough to kill the roots adequately... RU works best on fully functioning plants...

Page generated in 0.03702 seconds with 7 queries