View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

should I let employees make important choices?

all season long last year I had all kinds of bad employees, with all kinds of problems.

This year, Im writing a hand book. I need some imput on a few things.

I realise this is lawnsite but the ulimate question is still the same. Do I allow them to make judgement choices that are important, or do I make those choices?

This morning we had snow, in my opinion the salt driver left at least 1 hour later than he should have. We have a rule that all properties are checked every mornign no later than 8 am. And that if you need to do salting service, you need to plan that, and thus start sooner. our route takes 2.5 hours to drive, assuming that you dont have to salt, and it takes 4 hours if you salt everyone.

I have trying to be nice and let them make judgement choices so that they could sleep in, because 9 out of 10 days no service is needed.

I notice larger companies tent not to take the chance, their start time is set in stone. period.

I also have a similar problem with lunch breaks. I had a crew, eveytime i pulled up they claimed they were on lunch. 11 am, 10:30 am, 1 pm.

I know larger companies have set lunch breaks. meaning company wide from 12-12:30 is lunch. and if your taking a break outside that time frame and the supervisor pulls up, its not pretty for everyone.

I personally like giving the guys the opertunity to stop when they want. If they pass by a fast food station, they can stop. But again I feel like last year i was taken advantage of with this?

The larger companies have fixed times, and fixed policys because its easier to manage, and track. Payroll is easier, and it just eliminates finger pointing, and any other problems.

so three questions?

1. do i allow these guys to sleep in, and make a judgement call. or do i set in stone 4:00am is the starting time every day.?

2. lunch breaks- set in stone time (unless they get approval) or do I allow them flexibility?

3. over all - do i allow crew leaders to make choices like this, or do i write a strict handbook that more or less spells out day for day on what will happen?

Page generated in 0.04013 seconds with 7 queries