Thread: CEC formula?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Everything from microbes to earthworms and ants all the way up to the roots themselves, have something to do with Soil Organic Matter... no big mystery in that , it only involves what is rotting , where it is rotting and whether it is incorporated into the structure of the soil or not...
Roots die and rot all the time but they also exude and shed which may or may not add significantly to SOM, but you'll want to look at this as a long term issue... to speed things up,,, a couple apps of compost after aerating will go a long way,, to providing the benefits of good SOM, quickly...

Mulch mowing may or may not raise the SOM over time, even to the depth of 1 inch,,, for example... It all depends on whether the lawn debris is being carried into the root zone of the grass...
It is a faulty idea to expect that there are formulas for living things and the habitats in which living things thrive... For example I have a large winter window garden that has different watering requirements and different fertilier requirements depending on the amount of direct sunlight as it goes lower in the winter and returns to be directly overhead,,, soon...

There was no formula that I could give the caretakers, that would make clear the individual watering requirements , during my absence...
[color="blue"][b]Just focus on the cultural practices that increase SOM and steer clear of practices that destroy SOM and let nature take its course...

Page generated in 0.03957 seconds with 7 queries