Thread: Organic's
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GroundKprs
This is interesting info for warm season grasses. But where is there a study on cool season turf? Since soil temps must be elevated for organics to function in food delivery, a purely organic approach to management of C3 grasses does not seem practical.
Not sure what C3 is but it seems to reference cool season grasses. Be gentle with me, I'm new here.

I'm not calling my post a study. I'm just saying what works for me on one lawn. It would help if the pros using organics on 50 lawns would weigh in. And since there is interest, how about all y'all Yankees weighing in, too.

Quote:
For those concerned about EPA registrations, fertilizers do not require registration, And corn gluten meal (used as a preemergent) has been exempted from EPA regs. However, CGM is a root inhibitor, and may have the same negative effect on turfgrass roots that most chemical pre-ems have.
This would be a great topic for people with experience using CGM on 50 or so lawns for 5 years.

Quote:
The use of natural enemies or parasitic organisms is not new. Been studied in this country for over 100 years. The problem with this approach is that the enemy or parasite must have a population of the pest to survive itself. And most things in nature do not ravage their life support like humans. So a natural control, using enemies or parasites, requires an acceptance of cyclical activity of the pest: as pest population builds, the predator organism population also grows, bringing the pest under control. But as the pest population is decreased, the predator population also decreases (food supply reduced), and the pest is allowed to prosper again. Using natural controls will never eliminate your pest - but then chemical controls never will either, LOL.
I like to test out theories by checking at the limits of applicability if I can. Here's an example testing a low limit and a high limit. If I drop one coyote into a fenced herd of sheep, the single coyote might be able to leave some sheep alive for the future. What happens at the other limit of the scale? What happens if I drop 10,000 coyotes into a herd of sheep? My guess is there will be no survivors inside the fence within one month. Once the sheep are gone (in about a day), there's no more food and the coyotes will starve too. This is more like the example of using beneficial nematodes or milky spore. You're dropping millions of microbes to kill maybe 12 grubs per square foot.

Page generated in 0.04979 seconds with 7 queries