View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

How To Remedy Sandy Soil?

Hi, I am a homeowner trying to repair my lawn. I live in Massachusetts near the ocean. Recently moved here and the lawn didn't do well this summer; dead spots, prone to weeds, patchy, etc. I noticed the water draining right through it and drying out very quickly. I didn't have any time during the summer to investigate, but just now I went outside and dug a hole to see if I could find what I was looking for...sand. Sure enough, there was plenty of sand mixed in with the soil.(pics below) How it got there I don't know, but I do know that with the water draining this fast I will never have a good lawn.

I've read about the benefits of tilling organic matter into the sandy soil and letting it compost for awhile. I don't really want to add matter, though, as I don't want to raise the height of the lawn. I don't have too much of a problem with the idea of removing the sand, but I wanted to see if you guys think that would be a solution. I was planning on taking up the grass with a grub axe, then shoveling all the sandy soil out and replacing it with good top soil. I could then either re-introduce the old grass or reseed completely. What do you guys think? Thanks

Page generated in 0.03598 seconds with 7 queries