View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsin1 View Post
quick question... seems like you two ga boys know a thing or two about bermuda grass ( and old hangout spots! ) -- I have a bermuda lawn that only receives about 5-6 hrs of morning/early afternoon sun then the shadow of the house shades on side of the yard. I want to lay some TifGrand on that side....

what are your views on laying sod WITHOUT tilling the area first? just maybe a heavy raking first then lay the sod......... also if I have bermuda grass now that real THIN in that area im not sure if roundup would work now cuz the grass is still dormant. if i dont have to till im thinking i could just scalp the grass, then lay the new sod on top?

what are your thoughts?
I would never till prior to laying sod. It will be bumpy for years. I had a shady section under a tall pine and laid a pallet of TifGrand under it. All I did was cut it really low then use my line trimmer to take it down to the dirt. I simply laid the sod on top of what was left of the 419. I blended the edges with sand and rolled it. The pictures show when it first went down and then 5 weeks later. I only get 5-6 hours of sun in this area.
Attached Images

Last edited by wrager; 03-26-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Page generated in 0.03584 seconds with 8 queries