View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post
OK, you asked for it.
when home lawn aeration first got started in the 60 /70s it was thought that Spring was the only time to do it and it had to be done before Pre-emerge went down. This was a good service, made some money but was a real hardship due to the time squeeze and small window. So as Aeration profits grew and more studies were done it was determinded that that fall even late fall up to freeze was a better time. Because this gave the grass / soil time to loosen up, roots to form and fertilizer time to get down to the new root level before spring. When doing this with a fert app right behind it the grass got a real jump start in the spring. This also allows you to have billings later into the fall right up to snow plow time, BUT, (there is always a but) new customers that do not understand the value of aeration will be very slow to spend $150 to see a bunch of cores on the lawn and grass going dormant. So it is best to do NEW AERATION CUSTOMERS, in the spring this way they see a quick response and value for the dollar spent. Just mow the lawn very short, aerate and apply fert. Water and mother nature and sun will do the rest. In a week or so the new customer comes out in the morning and goes WooooW, that guy really knew what he was talking about. Then move the new customer to the fall program to make room for more new customers in the spring. If you want I have a lecture called "What is Aeration and How Do I Sell It" takes about and hour.
Guys have a Great Spring
Turfcobob
So what does the Spring aeration do??? get the fertilizer into the roots for a quick green-up??? That is not the desired practice for cool-season grasses... quick Spring green-ups are for the applicator to make money, not for the benfit of the turf...

Page generated in 0.04183 seconds with 7 queries