View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
For thatch fest lawns Spring aeration cures thatch in the spots the plugs are pulled. My premise is if the client skipped the Fall and Winterizer recommend fert....this is the next best thing.

There is just such a high level of apathy here locally for Fall aerations as being important that I'm not going to talk people out of it unless the thatch layer is in check.

Customer education on proper watering, mowing height and correct applications of fert and herbicides is the most frustrating part of this business for me.

What I'm doing this year is bundling Fall aeration with my season long fert programs for smaller lawns. For really thatch lawns I will perform a Spring as well as 2 additional peak growing season aerations.

Countless times I had potential clients say I had mine aerated 3 years ago or even last Fall and their lawn is a complete and total thatch fest. And they are convinced it doesn't need to be done again for some time.
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand that... Its like seeding... that's done in the Spring too... clients always know best...

Still. even for thatch, I would not aerate until fert time,,, after 2nd mowing or so...
At this time it would be fine for the roots to have fertilizer in the root zone, via aeration holes, heading into Summer...

Frozen soils around here have been frozen hard most of the winter,,, which means "heaving" from the expansion of ice crystals in the soil... the thaw may be going on in many yards under the snow, but for the most part we are under a couple inches of ice...
So when the ice is gone and the soils dry out a bit, 'compaction' will not be an issue for quite a while... but of course some goof will be driving around on wet soils, freshly thawed, making compaction trails all over the yard to get pre-m applied, along with a fertilizer in order to ensure the thatch is fed and the roots don't do much again this Spring...
Time that should be spent for seeding winter kill areas,,, are instead,,, sterilized from any and all seed germination potential....

How are you guys doing BTW? snow cover gone??
We're melting slowly and I think our average turf cover is under 8" now...

Page generated in 0.03917 seconds with 7 queries