View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

There is some really good advice in this thread. I will certainly be critiquing how I operate. The biggest saver of both time and money for me is keeping a tight route and focusing on getting multiple yards per stop. Nothing is better than parking and knocking out 3-4 yards right next to each other. If you use your truck as a personal vehicle, minimize driving by actually writing out where you need to go and what you need to get done. If you have to go to the dealer take the parts you are replacing with you and know the part #'s. I have a good dealer near me but I've been given the wrong parts on more than one occasion. You live and learn. I drive very little so for me it is cheaper to just drive my 3/4 ton 4x4 than it would be to buy another vehicle that is better on gas.

I am a very frugal person. My friends and family joke on me frequently. I have found that sometimes constantly thinking about money can be counterproductive. If you find a product or something you want and you are doing a good job saving money, buy it (the majority of the time what I'm buying is for work anyways). Reward yourself occasionally. I always want to horde my money but don't take enough time to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Be smart, work hard, relax and it will all work out alright.

**Also, Make friends in the business. Know your competition and how they work. If you come across yards/jobs you can't do send them their way if they do quality work and are good guys. I have good relationships with a few local guys and have sent work their way. I know that they'll help me out if I ever really need it. We aren't out to cut each other's throats.

Last edited by oznort; 03-31-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Page generated in 0.04057 seconds with 7 queries