View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
... It's low mowing season now and has been since mid late March.

If this drier weather continues it will be the ever popular and sometimes expensive power raking season for those who didn't put down Fall fert for proper Spring green up and other assorted reasons. ...

Maybe I will be convinced other wise but I just am not a fan of Fall scalp mowing much below 2.25". My Fall low mow was 3.25".

Posted via Mobile Device
Low mowing is a fine idea for the first few mowings...
power raking, however,, is about as good for a lawn,,, as leeches are for medical care... I hope your at least mowing all your springtime debris, back onto the turf...
I believe that you may have just given an explanation for the reason WHY your clients poo-poo the idea of lawn care in the Fall... they place all their enthusiasm on their turf in the Spring,,, just like the antiquated ideas of old,,, which includes "RAKING" with iron rakes every Spring...

I pickup leaves, twigs and miscellaneous other large materials that will NOT,,, ROT back into the soil before mowing occurs, with a backback blower and overseed the same day... I may come back with compost to cover the seed in certain cases,,, but in general I don't do anything more with the turf until it's time to mow...

High mowing in the Fall I also agree with... winters such as last winter in which snow is lacking and the turf is exposed to dessicating winds and freeze-drying,,, the extra leaf mass could mean the difference between dormancy and death...

Low mowing(in the Fall) is considered desirable for the prevention of Snow Mold,,, but having applied the N at the correct time,,, also prevents Snow Mold...

Page generated in 0.03729 seconds with 7 queries