View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I'd try and find some work for the bobcat first..like branch off into sod and landscape construction since you already have a base in Landscaping.

Don't just go for a regular old do everything service. Have a specialty. And focus on that. It might take a while to find out what is gonna bring in the money but once you do stick with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
When I went into business I tried to throw a wide net to "catch all" the world. Nearly 20 years later I still do a lot of services but found that the phone rang off the hook for all the little jobs that didn't pay. I
Focusing has helped me make a name for myself in my little area. I don't travel far and I'm home by dinner every night but that took quite a bit of focus and learning to say "no" to drilling 2 post holes just because I own an auger.
I would encourage you to learn as much as you can while you are just starting out but Junior's advice about having a specialty will set you apart from the run of the mill bobcat service guys who are all over Craigslist. When the economy is down, everybody and their brother is in business whether they have the skills or not. Just go to youtube and look "brush mulching." You will see absolute horror movies at one end of the spectrum and guys that are a natural extension of their machinery at the other end of the spectrum. I think that focus and repetitive practice makes the difference between average and good. You will naturally learn how to do a lot of things but following Junior's advice will help you achieve expert status sooner in that line of work that excites you. Good luck.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing

Page generated in 0.04298 seconds with 7 queries