View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

grass seed - what to get

hey guys, i know your not supposed to spread grass seed until sept 1 in the midwest, but im really needing to get a jump start on some good sized bare spots in my yard. So id like to try seeding in the next couple weeks, and then re-seeding again in september as recommended.

Anyway, where im at the basic seed selection i have is as follows (have yet to check outdoor/landscaping stores)
  • Pennington "Smart Seed" Shady Lawn Mixture
  • Schultz "Shady Lawn" mixture
  • Scotts Turf Builder Dense Shade mixture

Now within those brands are other choices such as scotts commercial grade mix or Pennington Ultimate Seed etc.

Just looking at what would be my best choice for my yard. Both area are pretty good sized completely bare spots, however i dont have money for sodding, so im going to attempt to seed this spring and re-seed in sept. Just looking at what would be my best options to start with. Not really sure if i need dense shade or a sun and shade mix as there is no leaves on trees yet and its hard to judge exactly what amount of sun will be present in those areas. Im assuming a shade mix would be better off as i have a lot of trees to contend with.

Let me know what you guys would recommend and please let me know if theres a better option than what i have listed above. Would like to have seeds in the ground by may 1 at the latest.

Will try and get some pictures of spots needing seeding so you guys have better idea.
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear

Page generated in 0.03752 seconds with 7 queries