View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post

@phasthound: I shall wait for this product to be available in the stores, and I will test it out myself, thanks for the input. I understand all the concept behind keeping a healthy grass is the best way to eliminate weeds. But my scenario is totally different. Weeds have been winning over the past 3 years. I'm dealing with lawns that have a minimum of 50% weed, but most of the time it is 75%, + very hard clay soils around here, extreme harsh winters with salt and no herbicides available. So for the major part of the home owners the best would be to start over with fresh sod or hydro-seeding, but everyone is to cheap.

Everything I can think of about cultivar practices only help the weeds as much as the grass when your dealing with 75% weeds in a lawn. A lot of it has to do with timing your services properly according to the time of the year, soil temp, weather etc. which is also tricky. Water is another issue, no one water theirs lawn here because of the water fees (which is not so bad actually). So if your going to do top dressing and over-seeding, you pretty much have to plan ahead for damp conditions because you can never rely on home owners keeping their lawn damp.
My gut reaction is that something is seriously wrong with the lawn care industry if it has not been able to adapt better to the tough regulations. I understand how difficult it is provide good results without pesticides, but many companies in the States are successfully doing so.

It does involve a complete program of cultural methods and product usage. And it is a process, not an event. But it is being done.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Page generated in 0.04431 seconds with 7 queries