View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

My wife and I have just started a business that we thought would work well for us in the future. We are a distributor for Rubberific! Mulch. We live in rural northwest Iowa near Sioux City, we both work away from our rural residence. I live in Sioux Falls, SD during the week working for Tiger Corp. (mfg of industrial mowers) and my wife works in Sioux City for Siouxland Regional Housing. There are a couple of people that I would like to visit with. My father is one, we worked side by side in the business of farming until the early 80's, an exceptional gentleman who I believe has raised me the right way. At the present, he can't relate to much of anything, he suffers from Alzheimers. Another person would have been my doctor from when I was a child, I always respected the man, he is deceased - died in the late 60's. He was a person that was not afraid to take a chance on a project and a person. Another would be a lawyer I knew when I was young, he suggested where to invest my first money. He had a lot of good ideas.
It sure wouldn't be a banker! Although I get along fine with the one we do business with for the last twenty years, prior to that the ones I worked with had a good ole boy system where only the people with money should run anything, you poor people stay in the back. That doesn't make entrepreneurs.
Speaking with a green person will not give you all of the answers for being in business. One may know a lot about doing the correct things but can't manage money. If your in a business, you need to have a number of hat's - promoter, manager, financial manager, estimator, common laborer, purchaser, as well as being a good boss and friend.
What I want to know is where all of these other people made their fast bucks in the business? What is the best business to be in pertaining to lawn care, landscaping, or anything connected to the industry? What trade show is the best to attend for products and information? What is a good all around business for four seasons?

Page generated in 0.04155 seconds with 7 queries