View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I contend that organic ferts are cheaper... but NOT in a pound for pound way... soil structure and CEC are more important than 4# of N per season... especially when a lot of that N will never ever be used of the grass...

I'd rather have 2.5# of N with ALLof it being used,,, than have 4# of N with less than half being used...

The difference is in the soil whether it is organic or synthetic doesn't matter... cultural practices based on knowledge of your soil will determine your 'timing'... "Timing" will determine whether the N is wasted or the soil is building/losing structure...

Even with good soil and using a little synfert on that good soil,,, goes a long way... never settle for LESS VIBRANT lawns...
Could not agree more. If you miss the September and November applications of fertilizer for growing zones similar to mine. The turf suffers a major loss that is tough to recover from. Just last week I came across a publication from University of Idaho and they FLAT OUT SAID, 75% of the seasons nitrogen NEEDS to go down between September to November. This is more than what Purdue states even at the 2/3 rate or 66% of the seasons NITROGEN.

So I ask why are so many Application Co. Putting down fast release heavy applications in the Spring...? Creating mowing nightmares for clients and contractors...? The big Ap Co. here are putting down fert on frozen ground way to early....?

Okay...back on topic. In tests on my own KBG thatch prone lawn organic fert with a DPW base and some synthetic N for green up 14-2-5 out performed a slow release synthetic based quality product with 20-7-14 specs. What happens is the dried chicken waste helps breakdown clippings and the organic based product really performs and lasts a long time. The slow release synthetic product does last but not as long.

I'm not trying to pop bubbles here but on the same lawn Milorganite performs poorly IMO when compared to my preferred bridge product.

Due to cooler temps and a propensity for clients to bag in the Fall and early Spring. I only use synthetic fert for the first and last APS.

The entire problem with this angle of a lower input lawn is it clashes with what the client wants. They want clippings bagged due to ignorance or they have to from fast release aps and many here loose interest in their lawns once the last holiday weekend roll around. "Lawn looks okay fine...let's skip the Fall fert".

I'm at the point now if a client insists on bagging, over watering and heavy Spring APS they are done. Hire one of the many Walker GHS fellers with huge grass piles in their trailers or dump truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 04-11-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Page generated in 0.03727 seconds with 7 queries