Thread: Dot numbers?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Not necessarily.

Please do not give out information that is based on ignorance.

More than likely.

This is good advice. lol

Horse hockey.

DOT numbers are for commercial vehicles. A recreational vehicle by definition is not commercial.

And the DOT number no longer applies in Michigan under 26,001. And a bunch of others.
Horse Hockey back at ya!...LOL....Note I'm talking about PA and clearly stated "I believe that is all states". My information was obtained by the PA State Police DOT Enforcement officer at the Lawrence Park Barricks, Erie PA. He stated: "any" trailer in PA over 10,001 lbs needs to follow DOT regulations, including recreational. Recreational is for weight to tow vechicle requirements. Once I realized my TT GVW and commercial GCVW were under DOT requirements, I didn't pay much attention to what he kept saying about other states. However I do "believe" he said trailers over 10,001 fall under federal DOT rules. Again I "believe" if you go out of state with a trailer over 10,001lbs, irregardless of your states regs, you fall under federal DOT rules. As for PA, I'm certain he said commercial GVCW in PA, 17,001lbs and above. Any commercial crossing state lines, GCCW 10,001lbs and above as per federal rules. I also agree with what was said in this thread about regular State troopers or local police not knowing the laws. That is why I contacted the DOT Enforcement officer......Just a note. If you look at almost all TT GVW they are just under 10,001lbs. Why might that be? Maybe to keep those TT out of federal dot rules when crossing state lines. Most 5ers are over 10,001 and I know of 2 people who were stopped by a road side DOT check in PA and given warning tickets for not having a combo GCVW for the tow vechicle since thier 5er weighed over 10,001lbs......OK, one more note! Wouldn't it be great if all states and the Feds would just have the same rules.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments