View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
So you had 570 in material cost and about a grand in labor cost where's your profit? hmm? Like I said I would have charged 2K. You guys will learn one day, these type jobs are very labor intensive GET PAID FOR IT!
I am not sure what you are thinking but I did get paid quite a bit. My employee makes 13/hr and hes on the books so its more like 15 hr. His total for the job was 12 hours, so 180 for labor for this job. I have NO IDEA how you came up with the idea I had a grand in labor cost..

Originally Posted by TFLE View Post
See the way I read his post is he charged 1675-570= about 1100 dollars. Now if he is one of the two guys working all he has in true labor costs is 150 max for a day and a half? so now he is at 950 for 12 ish hours of work? 80/hour after paying your help. Even if he had to pay 2 guys he's still at 800 for 12 hours or about 66 bucks an hour. I think he did pretty good.
Exactly. My labor cost was actually 180, but still this is exactly how I looked at it.. And to be honest I wasn't even the cheapest that bid this job, but I got it because I came highly recommended from a friend of theirs.

Originally Posted by TFLE View Post
These guys also aren't "professional" it's a laborer and his buddy. Not saying they won't do a great job but charging high end prices is a little ridiculous. Rolling onto a job in your pickup with a bunch of tools you scraped together and charge 100 bucks a yard for mulch is a bit absurd. Sounds like the OP will make a nice little payday on this side job. Good for him.

Not sure if that was for me or not, but I am a professional. This is my sole income and I do everything by the books including my employees and taxes at the end of the year. This is my lively-hood and I try and do my best at all times. I may not have a ton of employees but I make out fairly well with me and another guy and in certain times of the year I have three guys. I didnt even know my employee when I hired him, so no it wasnt me hiring my buddy lol I did not just "scrape" together all my equipment, I worked very hard and paid for everything I have.
No offense was taken I just wanted to clear that up
2005 F350 supercab 6.0 powerstroke
2006 F250 Supercab 5.4
1999 F350 Dump 7.3 Diesel 9' Fisher plow
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
2004 Exmark Turf tracer 48"
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer