Thread: Need OM and N
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBull View Post
Insert shovel into lawn, push back a bit to reveal earth and grab a tablespoon from about 6" down. Repeat 12-15 times around lawn. Put all in bowl, shake shake shake. Let air dry on a paper towel, mix again, grab required amount put in baggie and send off to lab.
This is not right. You aren't really interested in what is going on at a 6" depth, but rather over the range from 0-6" or 0-8" on turf. You need to adjust your sampling method.

Quote:
Color fades fast!
Your soil has a limited nutrient holding capacity. Slow release form of N is what you need here.

Quote:
Lawn isn't as luscious as I want, bare spots here and there and they don't bounce back well.
If you want a showcase lawn, you need to overseed yearly.

Quote:
Yes New England soil is always acidic, par fro the course. I would like to bring that pH up if I could.
IMO, there is no need until pH is in the low 5 range. In your case, some Mg additions may be warranted, so liming with dolomite will address that.

Quote:
I am doing CT 4x this year as I said earlier, other than that I haven't ordered any compost or fert to apply as of yet.
What do you hope to gain from CT application? Obviously you are missing something here given the results are less than stellar. IMO, compost is what you need here, and if you can, get a custom compost/lime mix.

Given your CEC, you need to make sure what you are putting down has limited mobility in the soil. As I said above, your mobile nutrients should be slow release. Keep in mind that your soil has limited nutrient holding capacity and you may need to apply limiting nutrients more frequently.

Page generated in 0.03487 seconds with 7 queries