View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Look for greens grade fertilizers. Usually they are high potassium and lower nitrogen. Be prepared to pay up to $60 a bag. This is why I spray everything. One bag of potassium nitrate will cover up to an acre of lawn. The low analysis fertilizers will need up to 5 bags per acre.
Greens grade fertilizers are usually high in K and low in N? Are you sure?

'Greens Grade' simply means that the fert has a small particle size, so it is less disruptive to golf putting play than larger prill sizes. They SGN is usually near 100.

I've bought greens grade 0-0-62 and greens grade 46-0-0 and any analysis in between. But, I think everyone here is too caught up in the specific analysis, as if it means a darn. The specific analysis doesn't mean squat -- it's the amount of nutrient you're applying that actually means something.

You can use any analysis to get to your final application amount. The type of equipment you have, the size of the lawn, how much product you can carry, and the cost of the product (among others) are all factors that go into your analysis decision.

As for N source, it really doesn't matter. Centipedegrass generally performs better in slightly acidic soils (pH 5.0, give or take), but research from the University of Hawaii shows that N source doesn't impact centipedegrass performance. If your soils are less acidic than centipedegrass would prefer, you can use an acidifying fertilizer to help get things where they should be. But, saying that centipedegrass prefers one N source over another is an old wives' tale.

Page generated in 0.03268 seconds with 7 queries