View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That's what I thought it meant... so when the henbit is dead and dry, it is burned down and ready to seed...

More interestingly for me however, is that you've been doing no-till... Our experience around here is that no-till works OK for a few years but then the soil loses too much humus and needs to be turned...

How many years have you skipped plowing? and what kind of soils do you have??and are they holding up OK???

Thanks for any replies on the subject... I know that is not what yousigned up for...
Went full notil here in 2004, had experimented on a couple of fields for several years before I went all in in 2004. Wished I had done it 20 years ago ! We rotate quite a few crops, and the past few years have been incorporating cover crops into our rotation, with excellant results. Soils run from a clay gumbo type soil, to very, very, sandy. Notil has worked very well for me, no matter what soil types I have. The only thing that has been troublesome the past two years, is the summer drought we have all been experiencing in the Midwest.

Page generated in 0.03455 seconds with 7 queries