View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Empire Zoysia is being grown by one of our larger sod producers in my area. BTW Empire Zoysia is DNA patent protected and costs $ 120 a 400sq ft pallet at the Farm loaded on your truck. Now add in transportation and labor etc to install it. Compare that to $ 60 for the same size pallet of St Augustine at the same farm.

IMHO it is being over sold by telling people it is Drought Tolerant. While it is Drought Tolerant and will go dormant and come back. What is not being told to the customer, is it requires more water than St Augustine to look good.

Bermuda is the only year round SEEDED turf that establishes easily in the calcareous sandy soil of Gulf Coast Florida. In fact it does excellent in good soil. Common Bermuda fits a wide range of landscapes from ROW utility turf to fine home lawns. The quality of Bermuda turf is depend on the care given. However it survives nicely without any care as a utility turf. My own lawn is Bermuda and I use Roundup on it as a Growth Regulator and only mow it 8 times a year. BTW I also keep a reasonable green by using minor elements.

I can't help but remember 20 years ago and FX 10 St Augustine that was developed by U of F. It was suppose to be the next Sliced Bread. It didn't require as much water but you couldn't make it green no matter what you put on it. No one wants a Yellow Lawn.

My point being, Go with the common stuff that is well proven and let the Brave spend their money on chasing Dreams.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Page generated in 0.04072 seconds with 7 queries