Thread: I'm Spoiled
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm Spoiled

I love this job for so many reasons.

* It's not my sole source of income, so that takes all the stress and pressure off and leaves just the good stuff. As a matter of fact, when I leave the office mid-afternoon...half an hour later I'm mowing and anything that was bothering me earlier in the day is gone.

* All of my lawns are within 1/2 mile of where I live. Everyone knows me and treats me like the neighbor I am. I just left a lawn where Mr. Harris came out...he knows not to bother me while I'm mowing, but he wanted to let me know that his neighbor hurt his back...could I mow it and just add it to his bill. Except the couple he's talking about lost both of their children in an auto accident 15 years ago, there's no way I'm charging anyone for mowing this couple's lawn for a month or so. It's what neighbors do.

* Several years ago when I'd expanded substantially I had a lot of accounts and the new people who didn't know me treated me like I was a minimum wage lawn boy. It's hard to describe, but I'm sure there's not a person reading this who doesn't know what I'm talking about. When I scaled back to a more enjoyable level I passed all the lawns not in my neighborhood on to a guy I knew who was trying to expand.

* When folks at the office ask about mowing...that they want to start a lco...I tell the the last thing on earth I want to do when I leave the office is go to another job. That if they don't enjoy mowing, don't do it just for the money. Several years ago I passed a few accounts to a couple of guys who wanted some lawns. Within a month I had them back. The work was too hard for them. huh.

* I have to meet a new client in a bit so I came in to relax and get a drink just now. Just a while ago I was mowing down the street and finishing up trimming when I saw the school bus stop. My 12 YO son had the bus drop him off a block early and he got off the bus and walked over to the trailer and picked up the blower and went to work. I couldn't be more proud than I am right now.

It's a great day to be in the lawn care business.

Page generated in 0.04186 seconds with 7 queries