Thread: GH 226v or 220?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one of the first GH 226v's to come off the line. Mine was a piece of crap. The deck belt must have jumped the pulleys 50 times in 3 years I used it and it shredded 3 belts. Finally the factory admitted they cut corners with the plastic idler arm pulley and replaced it with a steel pulley. The plastic would flex under heat. The owners manual says engage pto at 1/2 throttle to save clutch wear. The factory tech says on the 226 deck to engage it at 3/4 throttle minimum.

I finally had the deck worked out when the Briggs gave up at 150 hours. Was leaking oil and would rev erratically when it got hot. Then it would run ok for a few minutes then get goofy again. Governor problem maybe but I think the engine was about to fail? My dealer kept it for a week and found nothing. It acted up on me 30 minutes after I got it back. Grasshopper gives a 1 year residential warranty while most other brands go 4/5 years. My Bob-Cat is 5 yr 500 hr on mower and 3 year on the engine.

The heat shield on the muffler failed at the weld points. The engine bay is poorly designed and traps heat. The cut was very good but there were too many trips to the dealer and too many times it let me down. My dealer sells many brands and he gave me 1/2 price trade in on my 2010 226V w/150 hr ($3200) to a new Bob-cat Predator Pro with the 35 hp Kawasaki DFI. No complaints about the BC at all. Several user friendly features on the Pred Pro that the GH lacks but it isn't apples to apples as the B-C is about $3500 more expensive than the 226. Had the 226 been reliable I would still be using it but I have no patience with a lemon so I cut my losses and let it fly.

Page generated in 0.04131 seconds with 7 queries