View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 PM
grass-scapes's Avatar
grass-scapes grass-scapes is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 1,554
If he makes a dollar and is under your direction or uses your equipment, he is an employee, not a subcontractor, and as such, you are required to take out taxes and all of that government stuff.

Workers comp insurance is different and varies by state. It is a great idea to obtain a policy no matter if it is just you working. If you are working on a commercial property, you are usually required to have a policy in place. Otherwise, if something happens to you or an employee while on their property, you could, in a sense, make a claim on THEIR policy.

in MY state, i do not have to have a policy unless I have 3 employees, but I can assure you, I haven't gone a DAY without a policy with someone in my employ. Thats just asking for trouble. Wait till someone gets hurt on the job...
By the time you can make ends meet....They move the ends.
Grass Scapes
Greensboro NC
Reply With Quote
Page generated in 0.03944 seconds with 8 queries