View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have my own share of employee problems. Here is my take from what I'm learning.

1. putting back tools is basic stuff. If they cant put back their tools you might as well have hired 3 yr olds, because they don't pick their toys either. I would reconsider hiring better guys

2. having a person that is held accountable for a task like keeping the shop clean helps when the item or area is "common" to many people. I expect a crew leader to keep his truck clean. But for areas like the shop with multiple people and crews, I would just pick someone and hold them accountable for it. Odds are if they do take the new task seriously they will put some pier pressure on the other guys to help out by putting tools away.

3. If the guy isnt mowing the way you want him. Ask him once show him once. Then remove the guy from the mower, hand him a line trimmer for a day. Then ask him to come into the office a the end of the shift. explain to him that if he cant mow your way, then he can have a line trimmer in his hands, and BTW" I have to lower your pay because your back to being a basic labor. -- so when I say mow my way.... you better do it."

If he still doesn't, get someone else on the machine.

4. Have a training session on payday. Hold their checks until the very end of the day. Tell them you have been too busy cleaning and fixing their screw ups that you havnt even had a chance to write paychecks. And that once the shop is clean, and things are mowed the way you want them you will take the time to write some checks. I would remind them that your job is to write their checks, and their job is to listen and do as instructed. If they cant do their job, why should you do yours? Now that's a dangerous line, and you do have to pay them on-time. But hold them late, clean the shop, then have them come into your office 1 at a time. Give them a check, remind them of the above. Sorry to bad the banks are closed for the day, but sometimes that drives a point home. Then day before next payday, just remind them of what happened last week.

5. If that doesn't work. I hold a meeting, and say I just cant stay in business paying what I am. I have to bring another guy on to clean up your mess, so I'm taking $1.00 per hour from everyone's pay to hire someone to come in on the weekend and clean up.

besides all that - these are really just games to get people to think. sometimes the games work, sometimes they don't. Really if you have to ask more than once you hired the wrong people.

I hired plenty of wrong people too.

Page generated in 0.03417 seconds with 7 queries