View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Chevy,
Everyone gets scolded if there is too much OT. What you need to show, on paper is the justification FOR that OT with added sales and higher profit margins (and yes it possible to do even with OT)
If you didnt HAVE that and all that OT was butt picking, then thats why you got a scolding.
Two years with a lawn company might as well be the same as saying 10 months, because that's ALL the "go time" you have in this industry. so that being said, that's not a lot of time put into a company. I know guys who have worked for brickman for 12 to 15 years.

so with that being said, that hardly makes you an expert on how to manage people. MOST people are lazy, think they know better, or are trying to find a way to not work so much, Take a snap shot of the living room in a house these workers live in, do they pick up their own stuff? or just leave it lying around.

They get attitudes that they dont have to do that, someone else should. work ethic is a disappearing thing in this country. Especially when what you are paying someone is scary close to what they could get if your fired them and they collect unemployment.

It's all about motivation. Instead of a system where everyone starts with an A, Give them a system where everyone starts with a D -, you want to work here? You earn your pay. EVERYONE starts with a 8/hr, if the stuff is done my way? thats $1, if you put back your tools $1, if the equipment is greased and not broken lost or stolen? $1, no call backs from customers this week? $1. You beat your times? $1...and so on. That's $13 an hour if they do things YOUR way, and $8/hr if they do things THEIR way.... its their choice. Come up with TEN things you want them to do. The guy who does it all is the perfect employee and is WORTH $18/hr.
I wasn't picking my butt on the clock, I was doing what I was told every day. They say come in at 6, I come it at 6. They say take care of these properties, I get back at 7pm, not my fault. I never purposefully wasted company time for a higher paycheck. Of course I'm not perfect and didn't run around full speed all day but I didn't sit at the garage at 8pm waxing mowers.

And also I'm sorry if I came across as an "expert"...not my intention. I personally think I'm terrible but somehow I get results. I wasn't sure how to word my post to sound otherwise, so I can definitely see how it came across a little too self-appreciating. Not my intention at all. Maybe next time a thread like this comes along, I'll give my two cents without my life story

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts

Page generated in 0.04282 seconds with 7 queries