View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like my Toro Super Recycler (SR4) a lot. It is an easy to use mower and it mulches quite well.
I mowed my first season with that alone and I mulch everything except heavy spring growth.

It's a much better mulcher than a bagger. Bagging a well-kept lawn is no issue at all, but when bagging heavy growth, the chute clogs before the bag fills.

My first one had the Briggs and Stratton engine. I bought a second one last season on clearance for $499 so I would have a backup. The newer one has the Honda engine. I'm really not impressed with the Honda engine.
Twice now on cold mornings it has started, but chugged along, barely running fast enough to turn the blades. I tried letting it "warm up", but no luck. I then worked the lever on the engine that controls the throttle back and forth a few times and got it to "come to life". Not sure if that's common, but I never had that happen with the B&S.

Also, if you run across a hill with the air cleaner on the "down" side, gas will literally pour out of the air filter. (OK, maybe not "pour", but it drips out pretty fast) I KNOW you're not supposed to tilt the mower that way, but in the real world you sometimes HAVE to. The Briggs engine would show signs of this happening on the air filter when you changed it, but I NEVER had gasoline drip out of the filter and onto the deck with that one - only with the Honda engine.

Note that the Super Recycler is NOT the same mower as the Recycler found in big box stores. I'm pretty sure the SR4 is only sold at dealers.

I've looked at the Honda mowers, but they are more complicated to operate (Personal Pace for the win), and the deck looked harder to clean out underneath, so I just bought another Toro. I'm still curious to see how well one mulches in comparison though.

Note that the "Toro" engines are the "red" ones and as mentioned previously - made in China.

GRASS!!! Nom nom nom...

^ Obviously too tall to mulch properly, but I've found that this mower will devour some pretty overgrown lawns.

Page generated in 0.03767 seconds with 7 queries